Friday, January 9, 2009

If I don't, who will?

I have a number of incomplete blogs that I will do my best to complete over the weekend. As a result of that, you will notice that there will blogs that appear in line before this one. It's just the way blogger does it, don't think you missed anything, lol. I just wanted to talk today (very briefly) about self-esteem and self worth.

Something that always bothers me is this comment, that on occasion comes up when people (haters) are talking about me. "Myra thinks she's the sh*t". I'll be honest, upon first hearing this, I want to rebut with, "No I don't!!!" This feeling is reminiscent of the feeling I used to get when I was younger and people (haters) would say things like "you think you cute because you have long hair" or, "you think you special because you can sing", or "you think you like that", and I would scream "No I don't!!!!". But the truth is, that's a lie. I do think I'm the sh*t. When I was younger, I thought I was cute because I had long hair, I thought I was special because I can sing, and I did (and still do) think I'm "like that". This is a concept that many people perceive as conceit, when in actuality it's a little something called self esteem. I can understand why there is so much confusion, as there is such an alarming lack of self esteem among women in general, especially in this area (never heard this from a man).

I think the reason the comments bother me so much is that 1. for a brief second I'm made to feel like I should apologize for being who I am; 2. I may have a strong sense of self worth, and very high self esteem, but I never...EVER make anyone feel like they are anything other than on my level. No matter who you're wearing, how beat your face it, the car you drive, your economic status, or even how you treat me...I do my best to treat everyone as the beautiful children of God that they are. Life deals people all different hands of cards, but we are all on the same playing field when it comes to our spirit and soul. And THAT'S what matters to me. Above all else, I can't ever remember saying "so and so thinks he's/she's the sh*t". Seriously, what am I supposed to think, that I'm "aight"...ABSOLUTELY NOT. I don't think it gets any hotter than me...and you should feel the same way about you.

You're saying two things when you make the comment "Myra thinks she's the sh*t", 1. That you don't think you are and 2. That you secretly think I am. So now I ask you, if not me...then who?! Don't punish me for loving myself when you hate you.

3 comments:

Valyncia said...

EXCELLENT Blog... absolutely excellent. And for the record, your are the sh!t... and guess what, So am I. Yay for us!

My-My said...

lol, yay for us indeed!!!

Anonymous said...

Honey F**** the HATERS!! You have to love yourself, Everyone should think that they are the shit, if you don't how can you expect anyone else to

Hell I am the SH**!!!!!!!